1 cup scalded milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/3 cup sugar
5 Tbsp. shortening or butter or oil (I use half oil and half butter)
1 tsp. salt
4-5 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cube softened butter
- Proof yeast with water and 1 teas of the sugar.
- Let rise 15 min while milk cools.
- Add salt to flour.
- Mix all wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Add enough flour so dough forms into a tacky ball.
- Oil bowl and coat dough with oil.
- Cover. Let rise until double.
- Roll out thinly – about 1/4"-1/2” - and cover with filling.
- Roll up in jellyroll style.
- Slice at about 1"-1 1/2" thickness, and put onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 400 for 12-15 min.